Year 7 Geography Revision
Format of the exam:
Application of knowledge and understanding.
Application of OS map skills.
Weather and climate.
Topics that need to be revised:
- The world’s continents and oceans.
- Using an atlas.
- Human, physical and environmental geography.
- OS map skills – symbols, scale, direction, 4 figure and 6 figure grid references.
- Weather and climate, climate graphs
Hints and tips for preparation:
- Read all questions carefully – use BUG to box command words, underline key words, and glance back at the question. This is one of the main reasons as to why students loose marks – they did not read the question carefully or check it once they have finished – look at the number of marks awarded for each question.
- Attend revision sessions and aim for 100% attendance in lessons before the exam. Have a positive attitude and effort in lesson to help your understanding.
- Spend time most evenings revising for the exam and allow yourself plenty of breaks – don’t do more than 20 minutes at a time. Create materials which help you to revise such as mind maps, flash cards with key words, write out notes and RAG (red, amber, green) them to check your understanding. Mix it up by using Doddle, Bitesize and MapZone.
- Ensure you revise all topics and concentrate on those that you are not confident with.
Stretch and challenge for top grades:
- Accuracy of where features are plotted on a map using 6 figure grid references and for the correct colour of symbols.
- Accuracy when measuring scale and distance – be sure to use the North compass point and the scale bar.
Useful websites and where to find help:
Click on the links to access the websites.
- Doddle – your teacher will set you activities, revision PowerPoint’s and quizzes – if you do not get a high % – try again, you can do these as many times as you like to improve your score.
- BBC Bitesize – OS Map skills (links below) there are revision notes, visuals, quizzes and videos/activities.
- Map Zone (link below) – a wide variety of a games and quizzes which encourage you to recap some map skills
- Study a world map with the continents and oceans on – there are loads on the internet or you could ask you teacher for a print out if you do not have one in your book.
- Use Youtube – videos follow: